Africa Alive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got an A in lies

2 posters

Go down

I got an A in lies  Empty I got an A in lies

Post by Admin Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:40 pm

The other day Dyanne and I were discussing the history that we were taught in school and just how useless it is, to who we are now. I am a history buff. And I got an A (no I am not bragging) its actually a shame because I found out about Thomas Sankara so late in my life. I was soo mad, what history do we learn??? Most of it is imposed and a pure waste of time. This points to a bigger problem in our education system.

Admin
Admin

https://africaalive.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

I got an A in lies  Empty Re: I got an A in lies

Post by manka Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Dyanne here. Call me Manka. I wish I put more focus on history. The school system was geared towards clearing the syllabus, so we wrote notes in double history lessons for days, with no reflection on the facts at all.

manka

Back to top Go down

Post by manka Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:08 pm

@Nyamu, not your fault. I am currently reading The State of Africa, by Martin Meredith, and there is no mention of Sankara either.

manka

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 pm

I am assuming Martin Meredith is a white western citizen. Who tells our story??? You raised a good point Manka reflection on what we learn...IMO thats a skill we didnt learn or are encouraged to learn.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manka Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Yes, I assume so too. Thus the need to tell our own stories.
We are still learning in colonial systems: Don't ask, don't express. Just regurgitate, to our own peril.

manka

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Manka you got it regurgitation is highly awarded. Not creative thinking, original thought, analytical thinking etc. What can we do about it?.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manka Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:32 am

Our syllabus and teacher training have to change. There should be a level of humility in class from the teacher, in that they too should be willing to learn from the students. It's a two way stream. And definitely allow generous room for expression. You know you have transformed minds when they are able to articulate issues for themselves and apply solutions. Not reciting and copy-pasting texts.

manka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum